Thursday, July 28, 2011

My baby is not a baby anymore.





This is post was inspired  by mama Kat's writing workshop and one of her prompts : A moment you realized your child was growing up.  I thought about this for days and I couldn't think of one single moment, but  few "little" moments came to mind.

 It all started with him wanting to hold his own bottle during feeding time, then he wanted to hold his own spoon .... I was proud and I thought.. My baby is growing up.

Then came the I- don't -want- to- be- carried  phase and I was a little sad because I no longer had a baby to hold and I thought ... My baby is growing up. Its part of life.

Then there was the I- want- to- dress- myself phase, the I- want- to- help - you with everything phase, the 'mommy I want to do everything  alone ' phase and again I thought .. my baby is growing up.

The biggest moment came when I went to Ralphy's  pre-school and the teacher said  that  Ralphy would be going on his first field trip and I  said " what do you mean field trip? he's only a baby! Ralphy, that was standing by, looked at me straight in the eyes and said  " mommy I'm not a baby anymore, I'm a big boy."

And there  it was, the moment I was afraid would come too soon came and went, to confirm what I already knew, he is growing up... FAST.




6 comments:

Rachel said...

I am so feeling like this with my 4 yr old! My clingy baby is a totally independent little man now! He does everything on his own. He even cleaned the entire play room yesterday without me asking.

I love that he is going up into such an amazing big boy. I just didn't realize that independence started so early :)

Arnebya said...

Yes, the first time they utter "I'm a big boy (girl)" kills me. Really, you are? When the heck did that happen?

Anonymous said...

I know where you're at. The thought of letting them go is a hard one to act on, especially when you're not there to oversee this independence.

Before you know it, you'll be going to his grade 8 graduation!

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm dreading the day I take my baby boy to preschool. He's only 16 months and I've asked him to please stop growing. He has yet to listen!

Alex said...

Yes, they grow up fast and that's life.. I just want to enjoy him as much as possible.

Thanks for your comments.

Anonymous said...

oh your son is so cute! what a little man in his outfit. The time does go by so fast.